A friend recommended this recipe to me last week so I decided to try it. The end result was so delicious! And, it’s got a lot of healthy ingredients in it too! Win-win!
Beef and Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or ground bison or ground chicken or shredded chicken breast)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lg can organic tomato puree or sauce (or 2 cups no-salt-added diced tomatoes)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Shredded cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, dig out seeds, and brush flesh with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper. Place squash flesh side down on a baking sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes, until tender and squash strings easily with a fork.
Remove from oven and scrape out the squash strands with a fork into an oven-proof casserole dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until brown. Drain oil from pan and add peppers, onion and garlic to skillet. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.
Pour beef mixture over top of the squash. Add shredded cheese, if using, and bake for 25 minutes